A Day In Shillong

Just like any other normal day, I woke up, cleaned and dress myself in hoodies and joggers and head out for college. It was past 8:30 and classes starts at 8:30. None of my classmates were insight and was about to head home. 

Then, Sir Benjamin came, asking the whereabouts of my friends. I answered with a smile noting that the information was not with me. Still, he took the class and we discussed about "Kubla Khan", a poem by Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Although I was the only person, he teaches with the same energy lile every other classes. 

Then, the bell tolls from behind the college, with the public mic declaring curfew and everyone should be home before noon. That bell put a stop to all activities around the campus and even the vendors hurriedly packed their things and left for their safety. 

Then, Sir asked where I lived or how I am suppose to go home. I replied, I stayed in Mizo Girls Hostel in Nongrim Hills. I watched him packed his books up and his face shows that he was feeling uneasy. And, without any further ado, he told me that Nongrim is a safe neighbourhood and ordered me to run back to the hostel. 

The college and hostel were kilometres apart, but, taking a cab would only slow me down. The traffic was tight as every person was dyung to reach their homes. 

I stopped for a little while and examine the scene behind me. It felt like a movie. A movie where we all are chased by a plague or monsters like those in power-rangers or heroic marvels. The world seems lively, with horns, people shouting, running, calling their familes and asking them where they are. 

It was the time when CAB was presented at the Parliament and was passed to be an Act. The stated of North-Eastern India were shocked, shaken and divided. Their dreams were shattered and it could even lead to the downfall of their religions in the least. People were haunted by the words from the Parliament. We were ranged with anger, hopelessness and defenceless. Our states seems to cry out for help. Calling its people to defend the land, their homes and families. 

The actions were "extremely wicked, shockingly evil, and vile". The next day was Sunday, it was reported that vehicles around Police Bazaar were burnt, shops were destroyed and people were killed, all in the name of Patriotism. Some people were locked inside Glory Plaza and Vishall for their safety. They were not allowed to leave until the situation die down. 

I was President of St. Mary's College MSU. I got calls from friends and juniors. But there was nothing much I can do. I was as helpless as them. All we could do was pray for their safety. But, to make .atters worse, the Govt. Of Meghalaya ordered for internet shutdown to prevent spredding of fake news. We were helpless, with no connection to even know the situation of our Mizo brothers and sisters. Many of whose parents came to Shillong for Christmas Bazar and picking their children from hostels. 

The situation somehow turned to community war between Khasi and other community within Shillong. All buses, sumos were packed. And, it would mean selling our heads to even book a flight from Guwahati to Mizoram. Through the turmoils, the hardships and curfews, we managed to survive. We live to see today and all other beauty of the world. 

And, I ask of you, if ever you wander and stop for a minute and think about life? It's lovely, value it while you have. 

And what of patriotism? I come across many histories where war is waged in the name of the same. The lingering question of how a patriot should think will never be understood by me. 
-Hminghlui Hc

(Shillong ah khan incident tamtak, ka nun a ka hriatreng tur thil ka tawng fo a. Heihi chu chung zinga pakhat mai chauh a ni. Thiamlo takin ka ziak a. Ka ngaihtuah ang zawng zawng pawh ka ziakchhuak thiam heklo. Mahse, he ka thil tawn hian thil tamtak min zirtir ve a. Ṭhen phei chu sawi vek chu pawh a ni lemlo. I lo chhiar ve anih chuan, enge I ngaihdan te I la share ve dawn nia.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unknown

TUNGE KA NIH??